True Stories of Human Survival

Photo by Henrique Setim on Unsplash.

I love stories about people surviving against all odds. These stories are inspirational and they make me wonder if I could survive in a similar situation and how would I react.

Here is a list of some of my favorites:

1. The Endurance recounts the 1913 expedition to Antarctica that destroys their ship leaving them to survive in one of the most remote and harsh places on Earth. The captain and crew faced an arduous journey to return to civilization with little hope of being rescued.

2. Alive is the true story about an Argentine soccer team that crashes high in the Ande mountains. They are forced to survive for months enduring the cold winter with a lack of food.

3. Against the Ice is about the 1909 expedition to Greenland by two Danish explorers. When the get left behind, they are forced to survive in remote wilderness while awaiting rescue.

4. Apollo 13 shows the great lengths needed to survive when the Apollo 13 spacecraft suffered damage during its mission. Space is the next frontier of human exploration and I wonder what great discoveries and stories will come in this new environment.

All of these stories show the limits of human endurance and the will to live. They are also reminder of how reliant we are on eachother and modern conveniences.

Please post in the comments if you can suggest any books or movies about survival.